Chlorine Dioxide is an effective disinfectant without
the problems associated with normal gas chlorination.
It has a few outstanding attributes:
- bactericidal efficiency unaffected by pH value betwwen
4 to 10
- clearly superior to chlorine in destruction of spores,
bacteria's virus and other pathogen on an equal residual
- required contact time is lower.
- does not react with NH3 or NH 4 +
- destroys THM precursors and increase coagulation
- destroys phenols and has no distinct smell
- better at removing iron and magnesia compounds than
chlorine especially complex bounds.
Applications of Chlorine Dioxide in Food Industries
Fruit and Vegetable washing
- Post harvest dipping
- Washing for packing
- Surface treatment
- Pre-post harvest watering